Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Marc Prensky is part of my mob

The reading for this week was Marc Prensky's "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants". Honestly, it's odd actually reading what the generation has been thinking, but with way less slang and swearing. I do believe that we have come to a point in our education system where something must give. I guarantee it will not be the headstrong youth. Trying to bring technology into education is an idea that, thankfully, is no longer cutting edge. If my cell phone can bring up information on history faster than one can teach it, why should I pay attention? That is one big question Prensky asks. He then goes on to say that the older generation, which he dubbed the "digital immigrants" for their learned, not instinctive, knowledge of technology, needs to catch up.
Here is something I battle with, I feel as if our reliance on technology has made us in essence, a dumber society. Can the average teen find information in a book? Remember those? They are like the internet, except you can hold it!! There is a hard balance between advancing our intelligence through technology and advancing our sloth through it. Don't agree? Watch Idiocracy (starring Luke Wilson and Dax Shepard). It is meant as a comedy, however, through laughing you will get scared shitless by the parallels between the extreme of the movie and now. Although I agree with Prensky that our society needs to accommodate to meet the needs of a new way of thinking, learning, and living, I also believe we should make sure that our advances do not lead to our demise. Quite frankly, I love those crazy little books. Stuffed with words and not constantly being questioned of its authenticity (take that wikipedia!).

1 comment:

  1. Great way to articulate Prensky's concepts. Now add in some quotes to get at the details he is getting at here...

    ReplyDelete