Sunday, April 5, 2009

Men are bleeding, but not because i hurt them :(

Gloria Steinem makes me smile a little smirk and thank goodness that things are they way they are. Now, don't get me wrong, like everyother female I bitch that a guy doesn't have to bleed, which in turn comes to the fact they don't have to give birth (bastards, sorry not you brian). But Steinem got it down to a fricken T. It would be something revered by the world and seen as sooo manly and hot and sexy, not shameful, closeted, and disgusting. I believe that there are women that fight this, even the simple act of buying tampons and not turning red and being embarrassed because the Walgreen's cashier is super cute (you know, just an example from a random 14 year old at the time). Now I pretty much slam it on the counter in this Hell yeah, I am female, I get my period, and I think its so cute that you are squirming when I'm not embarressed, little cashier boy. I think in a way Steinem also plays into the dominant theme that all men are competitive, "Men would brag about how long and how much." What if it was taught as shameful as it is to women? Would they be so quick to accept and in turn boast of something like this? I mean, lets be honest no guy is boasting about his wet dreams eh? Maybe its better to be comfortable with yourself over it all. I don't think women should be ashamed of their periods, but I also don't think it shoud be the way that Steinem portrays men's version. Maybe it is a happy medium that I am at. I'm not announcing to the world everytime I bleed, but I refuse to be embarressed or shameful of one of the most natural things for women. But I can still smile, because if men got their periods now women can finally say "don't trust men, why trust something that bleeds for seven days and never dies."

No comments:

Post a Comment